So… It’s been a bit more than a week, but I’m easing into it. I still haven’t fully committed to the format of this blog. Should each post be about something different, or should each post be about everything all at once?
I still feel overwhelmed.
I know this is going to take time, and I’m not ready to give up just yet.
This project is about eliminating all things toxic. So what did I do this week? I got my birth control out! I had the Nexplanon implant, and boy oh BOY did I hate it! I am SO relieved to have that thing out of me!
Here’s my review: Preventing pregnancy = A++! Everything else F– (if that’s even a grade). I didn’t realize I was experiencing basically every single side effect this thing had to offer until really analyzing my life pretty recently. I was letting the fact that I wasn’t getting pregnant overshadow the fact that I was slowly becoming a person I totally and completely hated.
Check out this list of possible side effects:
- Changes in menstrual periods
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Mood Changes
- Breast tenderness or pain
- Abdominal Pain
- Back pain
- Changes in appetite
- Vaginal discharge
- Sore Throat
- Flu symptoms
- Injection site pain
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Liver Disease
- Weight gain
Now check out the list of the ones I got the pleasure of experiencing…
- Changes in menstrual periods — my flow changed just about every month.
- Irregular menstrual periods — no consistency aside from the fact that while on this medication I ALWAYS had my period twice a month… Lucky me!
- Mood Changes — Ask my fiance about this one…
- Breast tenderness or pain — ALL DAY EVERY DAY
- Abdominal Pain
- Back pain
- Changes in appetite — They told me when I first got the implant that my appetite would change and that I’d just have to learn how to manage it. What that ended up meaning was that I would ALWAYS feel hungry, and I’d somehow have to convince myself that I wasn’t…
- Nausea — This came along with PMS every single month for 3 years.
- Acne — More like bacne…
- Weakness — ugh…
- Headache — I started tracking my headaches. Last month, 16 out of 31 days were lived through with a headache.
- Depression — UGH!
- Vaginal discharge — … The only thing you need to know… This IS a side effect of this drug…
- Sore Throat — almost every month like clock work.
- Flu symptoms — again PMS was rough for me.
- Injection site pain — ALL DAY EVERY DAY. From the moment this thing went into my arm, I could feel it any time a wore a shirt with sleeves that were just a little too tight, or put a jacket on. I learned to ignore it most of the time.
- Dizziness — PMS
- Weight gain — This goes back to the change in appetite. Between the moment I got it put in, to the moment I got it out I gained over 50 pounds. And I never learned to control my appetite. That’s almost 17lbs per year on average…
- Nervousness — My nervousness and anxiety shot THROUGH THE ROOF. (This is one of the biggest side effects I am hoping will go away now that I don’t have unnecessary hormones pumping through my body)
Notice how the only ones that are no longer on the list are the ectopic pregnancy and liver disease? And I only removed those from the list because I haven’t had a chance to see a doctor to get tested for those yet…
- And a side effect the don’t list on the box: Loss of sex drive. My guess is that’s how they can say it’s 99.99% effective…
Long story short… That was a lot of toxic! And I’m so so so happy to be moving on from that part of my life.
I’m just going to keep clearing out toxins until I feel like myself again.
This week I am going to be focusing on exercise and minimizing.
What are some of your favorite was to clear out toxins in your life?
Tell me about your experiences with not realizing you were partaking in something so toxic until it was almost too late. How did you move forward?
What are you focusing on this week?